9/7/12

rhythm + channeling my inner teenager

I'm a sucker for groovy pop. And so I loved getting guest passes to the Owl City show at Center Stage, courtesy of Steve (moonlighting on synth, below. He was killing it on the kit for most of the show).

Earlier in the day, Steph and I spent a couple of hours with Steve at Octane, talking drums + music over lattes. As an un-drummer (maybe...the opposite of a drummer?) I've found that traditional violinists very rarely engage the rhythm section when adding something to a pop/rock song. And I think that's why--they are typically just adding icing on top, rather than creating the groove. I'm excited about the idea of stepping into more of a foundational, rhythm-oriented role as a violinist (read: I secretly want to be  a beatboxing, loop-pedal-ing, girl version of Kishi Bashi). For a long time, my M.O. was to listen widely to records that include strings for inspiration, and listen to other records for fun...but I've started listening to everything with my instrument in mind. And I want to find a sax player to study jazz with.

Anyway, Owl City was a blast. Adam just rocks that mic and wins hearts left and right.



No comments:

Post a Comment